12.21.2008

Why, Why, Why?


Eden Lake (2008)

This movie is terrifying. Not because it's overly gory or have horrific creatures. In fact there weren't even any "it's behind you" or "jump out and scare you" moments. It so horrific because it hits close to home. You don't have the safety of telling yourself, "this can only happen in the movies."

A young couple goes on a weekend camping vacation only to encounter a group of hoodlum kids. I won't spoil the movie, but let me tell you there were more than a few times I asked myself when will this movie be over; not because it was getting boring, but because I was getting depressed. The fact is, the world is not a safe place. Bad things happen to good people - sometimes for no explainable reason.

This is what a great horror movie does, it invokes a range of emotions in the viewers. I was thrilled. I was angry. I was sad. I was depressed. There are so many movies you watch and forget, but this one will not be forgotten. It holds its own as a great horror masterpiece.

[movie info via imdb]

No comments:

Post a Comment