1.20.2009

Botching an Inauguration


So Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States of America. But, not without some hilarity. Chief Justice John Roberts botched the 35 word swearing in of the president. Here's a transcript:


ROBERTS: Are you prepared to take the oath, Senator?

OBAMA: I am.

ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama...

OBAMA: I, Barack...

ROBERTS: ... do solemnly swear...

OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear...

ROBERTS: ... that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...

OBAMA: ... that I will execute...

ROBERTS: ... faithfully the office of president of the United States...

OBAMA: ... the office of president of the United States faithfully...

ROBERTS: ... and will to the best of my ability...

OBAMA: ... and will to the best of my ability...

ROBERTS: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

OBAMA: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

ROBERTS: So help you God?

OBAMA: So help me God.

ROBERTS: Congratulations, Mr. President.


Here's what the constitution says


"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."


If you noticed Obama almost giggle, this is why.

But when Roberts swore in Obama, he flipped some of the words, saying: "I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully."

No comments:

Post a Comment